Middle School 1:1 iPad Program
At TVS we are proud of how we integrate technology into learning. Via our iPad program our students have:
- Access to apps that promote increased opportunities for interactivity across the curriculum.
- New ways to engage with educational content (many learning styles).
- The potential to replace traditional textbooks with interactive content and dramatically reduce their backpack’s weight.
- Increased opportunities to collaborate.
- Opportunities to develop important skills for their futures.
As technology continues to change we are constantly reviewing and iterating our program and practices to improve the classroom experience. Our current middle school 1:1 iPad program is structured as follows.
The school provides 1:1 iPads to students in the 5th grades. These iPads are owned by the school, are kept in carts, and do not go home.
Students in grades 6, 7 and 8 are required to bring an iPad to school every day. Our faculty have spent much time learning new skills and recreating their lessons to create an environment in which iPads are a valuable and effective learning tool.
- How will be my child obtain an iPad?
- WHAT APPS DOES MY CHILD NEED?
- DOES MY CHILD NEED HER OWN ITUNES ACCOUNT?
- WHAT IF MY CHILD'S IPAD IS DAMAGED OR STOLEN?
- WILL THE INTERNET BE FILTERED ON MY CHILD'S IPAD?
- DO I NEED TO HAVE WI FI AT HOME?
- WILL MY CHILD BE USING ONLY DIGITAL TEXTBOOKS NEXT YEAR?
- HOW CAN MY CHILD PRINT FROM THE IPAD?
- WHAT IF THERE ARE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES WITH MY CHILD'S IPAD?
Since your child will be taking the iPad back and forth between home and school, all iPads are ordered with the Apple Care + protection plan which covers accidental damage for two years. We also strongly recommend that you purchase a rugged protective case. See iPad Cases below.
Students will be required to lock the iPad in their locker when it is not in use. Sixth grade cubbies will be equipped with locking doors for this purpose.
Ultimately, though, each child is responsible for his/her own iPad as with other personal items of value.
While wireless internet connectivity at home is not required, the iPad is much less effective without it, and your child may not be able to complete some assignments. If you are not able to provide wireless internet access at home, please communicate this with your child's teachers so that they can plan accordingly.
Teachers and school technology staff will help your child with any software or iOS issues. For hardware issues, it will be the student's responsibility to obtain service through Apple Care + or a local Apple store.
If your child's iPad is damaged or lost and replaced by Apple, please notify the school of the replacement. There is no need for you to attempt to install any school-related software. After the school's technology department registers the new iPad on the school's system and resets it, all of your child's school applications will be automatically re-installed. Your child's teachers and technology department staff will help your child restore any backed up data. Please wait to re-install any non-school related software until after the school has reset the iPad.
Students are required to have a proctective case for the iPad. Cases must have the following features:
- corner protection
- edge protection
- a stand for easy viewing
- should fit the iPad snugly
Below are some protective cases and keyboard cases we recommend. (Most are available as well for iPad mini.)