Much Ado About Shakespeare!
This workshop is for those who enjoy learning on their feet; be it galloping, dancing, virtual sword-play, or just moving to the rhythms of Shakespeare’s words. Our “lively action” comes directly from Shakespeare’s Globe in London. Our guest artist instructors come from theaters and universities throughout the United States, creating connections that no other program in the Metroplex can boast!
Our three-week intensive is designed for those who possess an openness to engage in Shakespeare’s texts intellectually, imaginatively, physically, vocally, and emotionally. We strive to enchant, enrich, and build community through the shared knowledge of Shakespeare and his timeless stories.
You will be engaged in:
- Theater games brought directly from Shakespeare’s Globe in London adapted for the virtual arena!
- Shakespeare’s scenes and monologues directed by our guest artists
- Improvisation-specific games to develop the imagination
- Acting for Stage
- Acting for the Camera
- Dance – physical workout daily!
- Voice – vocal workout daily!
- Set & Properties – design and construction
- Costuming design and construction
- An adjudication board made up of professionals in the industry
- All students participate in this year’s production of Shakespeare’s comedy, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
MUCH ADO ABOUT SHAKESPEARE! SUMMER INTENSIVE 2020
- Open to all students from rising seventh grade through college
- June 15 & 16, AUDITIONS, 1:00 – 4:00
- June 18 &19, CALLBACKS, 1:00 – 4:00
- You must sign up prior to auditions to receive an invitation.
- You must call or email for an audition email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 6 - 21, 2020 Classes run 12:00 – 3:00 online in various meeting rooms
- July 6 – 21, 2020 Rehearsals run 7:00 – 9:00 online in various meeting rooms
- July 17 12:00 – 3:00 Monologue Adjudication
- July 22 - 25 – SHOW TIME – at 7:30pm and a 2:00pm matinee on Saturday on Zoom
- Each applicant must prepare a minimum 16-20-line Shakespearean monologue to perform at the audition and will be asked to read from A Midsummer Night’s Dream during callbacks.
- In preparation for callbacks you will be sent a copy of the script.
- Parts will be announced via email, text, and phone.
- Anyone unable to audition or make callbacks during the times we have designated will be cast through special arrangements with the directors.
- Everyone attending Much Ado About Shakespeare! Summer Workshop who wants a part will be in the play.
- Classes and rehearsals begin on July 6, 2020 at 12:00pm.
- Classes continue Monday through Friday, 12:00 – 3:00pm, until July 21. Rehearsals are the same days, in the evenings, 7:00 – 9:00. During the last week, the rehearsal schedule times may be extended.
- Each student may participate in an adjudicated Monologue performance on Friday, July 17, 2:00 – 4:00.
- Virtual Performances are July 22, 23, and 24 at 7:30pm and July 25, at 2:00pm.
- To participate in the performance only, the tuition is $200. To participate in the performance and all workshops, the fee is $350.