UPDATE: Join us at the International Fair on March 30 (6-8PM in the North Gym)!
The Global Initiatives' Mission is to connect K-12 students and educators from around the world. Here are some Program highlights since its inception.
In the 2016-17 Academic Year, students and faculty will learn (virtually and in-person) with people from...
- England in Kindergarten, Australia in 1st grade, the Netherlands in 2nd grade, Germany in 3rd grade, Taiwan in 4th grade, Denmark in grades 5-8, Japan in 6th grade, Switzerland in grades 7-8, Scotland in 8th grade, and Australia, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Peru, and Swaziland in the Upper School.
Since July 2011...
- TVS students & faculty have connected with people from 52 countries/territories and on all 7 continents.
- 100+ TVS students & faculty have hosted 240 guests from Australia, Austria, Brazil, China, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- 100+ students and faculty have traveled on TVS-led trips to Austria, the Bahamas, China, Costa Rica, England, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Italy, and Spain. Click here to learn about some recent trips.
- All students in Kindergarten and grades 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 and several Upper School classes have completed virtual learning exchanges (via blogs & Skype) with more than 300 students and adults in Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Canada, Germany, Greenland, Japan, Hungary, Indonesia, Mauritania, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Turkey, and the UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, and England).
- For six consecutive years, Kindergarteners and 8th graders have blogged and/or Skyped with students in England and Scotland, 6th graders have exchanged videos with students in Japan for five consecutive years, and 3rd graders blogged with Indonesian students for four years in a row.
- Since 2014, students in every grade had the opportunity to host, interact, and learn, with people online and in-person from Australia, Austria, Japan, the Czech Republic, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Greenland, Indonesia, Japan, Mauritania, Mexico, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K. (London, Coleford, & Edinburgh).
Since July 2011...
- 18 Assistant Teachers from Denmark and Switzerland, 2 teachers from the Prague British School (Czech), and 1 teacher from Queen’s College Preparatory School in London have guest-taught and assisted in classes in Kindergarten through 11th grades.
- 2 education majors have conducted research and shared their cultures with us from the Netherlands and Sweden;
- At our International Fairs (2015, 2016), dozens of TVS families have represented over 45 countries/territories, with over 500 people in attendance in 2016.
- More than 30 TVS faculty and staff traveled with students or for professional development to Antarctica, Austria, the Bahamas, Belgium, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Finland, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, Peru, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, the UK, Vanuatu, & Vietnam.
- We've introduced new courses in the Middle School (e.g., Global Studies in 6th and the Selectives (7/8th) "World Peace Game" & "Everything Japan!") & in the Upper School (Religion in Culture, Global Leadership, AP Human Geography, & AP Modern World History)
- We've also introduced new trips abroad to China, Ethiopia, Spain, and Swaziland. For more information on trips abroad see our Student Resources page (click HERE).
Please check out our other links to learn more about our unique K-12 Global Initiatives Program.